Click here to list films alphabetically
Click here for festival schedule
- Special salute to Nick Drake
World Theatrical Premiere of new short films inspired by Nick Drake
Official L.A. Premiere of acclaimed Drake documentary
Nick Drake’s producer Joe Boyd, sister Gabrielle Drake and songwriter/friend Robin Frederick in-person
Friday October 5, 2007 - 8:00pm
Egyptian Theatre, Hollywood
- A PLACE TO BE - A CELEBRATION OF NICK DRAKE
- Over the course of three introspective and hauntingly beautiful albums in the early 1970s, British singer/songwriter Nick Drake built a small but loyal following. Now, 33 years after his tragically early death, Drake is widely considered one of the most important and influential musicians of his generation. This very special evening celebrating his life and music includes films, guests and an exhibit of artworks and photographs. In-person guests will be Nick Drake's sister Gabrielle Drake; Joe Boyd who discovered, signed and produced Drake; and songwriter/singer/producer Robin Frederick who had a friendship with Nick Drake in the spring of 1967. (Drake subsequently covered one of her songs.)
Nick Drake's sister Gabrielle Drake - and record producer Joe Boyd
- A SKIN TOO FEW: THE DAYS OF NICK DRAKE
- (2000, 48 mins, Bryter Music, Directed by Jeroen Berkvens)
- This haunting, evocative documentary offers a lyrical insight into the life of Nick Drake utilizing his music, rare visual images and evocations of the rural world Drake grew up in - and that served as an inspiration for his ethereal, introspective music. Along with Drake’s music we hear from those closest to him – his sister Gabrielle Drake, producer Joe Boyd, arranger Robert Kirby, engineer John Wood. This definitive film portrait of Drake has only screened once before in Los Angeles - when we gave it a sneak preview in the 2003 Mods & Rockers Film Festival. This will be the film's Official Los Angeles Premiere.
Discussion between films with Gabrielle Drake, Joe Boyd and Robin Frederick
ON US TV!
- THEIR PLACE: REFLECTIONS ON NICK DRAKE
- (2007, 30 mins, Bryter Music, Directed by Various Directors)
- "Their Place" is a new anthology of short filmed homages to Nick Drake – created by some of his many admirers in the creative community including: Heath Ledger, Jonas Mekas, Tim Pope, Paul Rider, Keith Morris, Julian Lloyd, Russell Mills and The Books. This will be the World Theatrical Premiere of the entire collection.
ON US TV!
TICKETS 101 - How To Buy Festival Tickets
Return to The Mods & Rockers Homepage
Copyright © 2007 Springtime!