Click here to list films alphabetically
Click here for festival schedule
- Celebrate America's Birthday With A Weekend-Long Salute To America's Music!
US Theatrical Premiere!
Program Number One
A Stunning Overview Of The Entire Series
Saturday July 5, 2008 - 12:00pm
Egyptian Theatre, Hollywood
- ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE: THE STORY OF POPULAR MUSIC
- (1977, 17 x 55 mins, Theatre Projects, Directed by Tony Palmer)
- John Lennon was the instigator of Palmer's landmark 1977 TV series that boldly set out to tell the story of 20th century popular music in 17 distinctive films. The series was a massive international hit - but was barely seen in the USA. To celebrate America's holiday weekend we are presenting all 17 films - grouped into five thematic programs - each consisting of three films. There are also two introductory films that are being shown as FREE screenings - one on Saturday - the other on Sunday. The films feature hours of unique, specially-shot material and ultra-rare archival footage of America's top musicians. Tony Palmer is attending the weekend and will introduce each program. See separate webpage for full details.
- PROGRAM 1: SERIES INTRODUCTION
- (1977, 55 mins, Theatre Projects, Directed by Tony Palmer)
- Popular music is an essential part of our daily lives. Yet we know comparatively little about it – where it came from, how it developed, how it has influenced or been influence by social change. Today, the popular music industry controls billions of dollars; it has a greater revenue than the combined efforts of the cinema, theatre, sport, and all the other entertainment industries put together. Yet the industry depends, ultimately, on the creative talents of a group of remarkable individuals. The story of popular music, therefore, is a story of the struggle by these individuals to survive the demands of this gigantic industry. This introductory episode explains some of the aims and ambitions of this seventeen part documentary series. In addition to presenting some of the highlights of the sixteen films that follow - this stimulating film also features some footage unique to this film. It is a pleasure to present this film as a special FREE ADMISSION event - as a special gift on America's holiday weekend. We hope seeing this film will also whet your appetite to see some or all of the other films in the series. If you come to this FREE screening - make sure your plans for the rest of the day are loose! Once you've seen this film - you may just want to stay and see the others...
Introduced by Tony Palmer
- Musicians & Composers (seen and/or heard):
• Joan Baez • The Beatles • Glen Campbell • Hoagy Carmichael • Eric Clapton • Bing Crosby • Bo Diddley • Duke Ellington • Ruth Etting • The Everly Brothers • Aretha Franklin • Judy Garland • Dizzy Gillespie • Billie Holiday • Jerry Lee Lewis • Liberace • Paul McCartney • Buddy Rich • Richard Rodgers • The Rolling Stones • Muddy Waters
TICKETS 101 - How To Buy Festival Tickets
Return to The Mods & Rockers Homepage
Copyright © 2008 Springtime!